QuestionsCategory: SacramentsNot married by church
Patricia Diaz asked 2 years ago

I have gone to confession several times over the past 30 years that I have been married to the same man. He was divorced from a previous catholic marriage so we did not marry by the church. We have one son. I have gone to confession and the priests say they can not absolve my sins, I cannot receive the sacraments. It makes me very sad and frustrated. My husband has never been a practicing catholic so he will not go through getting an annulment. 30 years ago I did not realize the consequences of marrying out of the church. At times I feel like my whole life is invalid. What can I do?

1 Answers
Michael Leonidas Staff answered 2 years ago

Hello Patricia
What you could do is go to your diocese and meet with the judicial vicar (or the person in charge of marital ‘judgement’ in your diocese) and talk to him about your problems. There is always a solution for any kind of problem. If you are brave enough, you will follow the directives which might not be easy. But the good side is, you’ll get to be able to receive the Sacraments again.
Let us know what happens if you can.
God bless